At the 109th session of the Council of Members, the Ministry of Agriculture and Marine Fisheries, Rural Development, Water and Forests of Morocco will hold an important technical seminar with the collaboration of the International Olive Council (IOC).
The seminar will be moderated by Abdelkrim Adi, the Head of the Technology and Environment Unit of the IOC, and the theme will be “challenges and prospects of the olive sector”. The seminar will be held at the Palm Plaza Hotel between 9.30am and 2.30pm on 20 June 2019.
The work will begin with introductory speeches given by the Moroccan Minister of Agriculture and Marine Fisheries, Rural Development, Water and Forrests Aziz Akhannouch, by the Executive Director of the IOC, Abdellatif Ghedira, and by the Chair of Interprolive.
Then, a report on the Morocco Green Plan will be presented by the Head of the Delegation of Morocco and the Director General of the Moroccan Ministry Chaouki Nabil. Deputy Executive Director of the IOC Jaime Lillo will then present the world olive oil market and its prospects. The following will be discussed:
Program of the seminar
- Olive genetic resources: international collections (Pablo Morello – University of Cordova);
- Xylella fastidioa: a new phytosanitary defence of the olive tree (Franco Valentini – CIHEAM);
- New Moroccan olive varieties (Sikaoui My El Hassane, Abderraouf Antari – INRA, Marrakesh);
- Use of olive by-products to produce green energy (Sebastian Sanchez – University of Jaén);
- Regional project to improve the quality of virgin olive oil (Nuno Santos – FAO);
- The Mediterranean diet/olive oil and health (M. Estruch – Torribera Mediterranean Centre).
For further information, please find the seminar programme attached.