The United States imports of Olive Oil

The United States accounts for around 36% of world imports of olive oil, placing it in first place followed by the European Union with 15%; Brazil with 8%; Japan with 7%; and Canada with 5%. This makes a total of 71% of imports worldwide. The rest of the importer countries account for just under 5%

International Olive Council

The United States imports of Olive Oil

US imports of olive oil and olive-pomace oil have increased by 1.7% in the 2017/18 crop year, reaching 322,199 t. This represents a 7.8% increase compared to the 2012/13 crop year when imports reached 298,827 t. Table 1 shows changes in imports over the last six crop years.

We can see how Spain and Italy, the two main exporters to the US, make up 68.1% of the total, followed by Tunisia with 12.5% and Turkey with 8.3%. The latter two countries have seen the most significant increases in production in the 2017/18 crop year, by 166.6% and 81.4% respectively compared to the previous crop year. Monthly changes in this market can be found in part I.1 of this news.

Some 71.6% of imports came from the European Union. The remaining 28.4% came mainly from Tunisia (12.5%), Argentina (2.5%), Chile (2.2%) and Morocco (1.4%).

As for volumes per product, 72.9% of all imports fell under 15.09.10 (virgin olive oil), followed by imports of 15.09.90 (olive oil) with 23.5%. The remaining 3.6% corresponds to imports of 15.10.00 (olive-pomace oils).

Imports of virgin olive oils have ticked upwards, increasing by 32.8% in the 2017/18 crop year compared with 2005/06, when 60% of imports were of this category.

As for packaging, Italy stands out as it uses packaging weighing less than 18kg, rather than packaging above 18kg, which represents only 4%. Greece and Lebanon also have this characteristic. On the other hand, pac- kaging of 18kg or more is used more than 89.9% of the time in Argentina, Chile, Morocco Tunisia and Turkey.

Illustration Jasper Johns

To comment you have to register
If you're already registered you can click here to access your account
click here to create a new account

Comment this news

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *